Preparing For Your Procedure
Please follow these guidelines the day before your procedure to ensure that your operation goes smoothly:
Before Your Procedure
- All patients must arrange to be accompanied and transported by a responsible person if anesthesia or sedation is given. Patients receiving local anesthesia only may drive themselves home.
- Notify your physician as soon as possible if there is any change in your physical condition, such as a cold or fever.
- You will receive a phone call from our nursing and administrative staff 1-3 days prior to the procedure to review all instructions regarding your procedure.
- If you are receiving sedation, do not eat solids six (6) hours prior to the scheduled time of the procedure. You may have clear liquids up to two (2) hours prior to the scheduled procedure. Clear liquids include water, fruit juices without pulp, black coffee, carbonated beverages such as 7-Up, clear tea. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- Patients receiving local anesthesia only do not have any diet restrictions
- Medications: Take your regularly scheduled medications unless otherwise instructed by your physician or the center admission nurse. If you take aspirin or blood-thinning medications please notify your physician.
Failure to follow these instructions may result in the cancellation of your Procedure.
Day of Your Procedure
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing such as sweat suits and easy to button shirts or blouses and comfortable shoes. You will be asked to remove your shoes and change into a patient gown for your procedure. A nurse will give you a bag to store your clothing in when you are in the preoperative area.
- Leave all valuables, including jewelry and cash, at home. We cannot be responsible for lost or damaged property.
- Please bathe or shower prior to your procedure.
- Bring a list of your medications and supplements with you on the day of your procedure, both prescription and non-prescription.
- Bring all insurance cards and a Government issued picture ID with you to the center.
- Be prepared to sign a form giving your consent for the procedure
- If you receiving sedation, an intravenous line will be started to administer medications.
- Due to the limited lobby seating, please make every effort possible to bring only one person with you if you receiving sedation and required to have a driver.
After Your Procedure
- Before you leave the center, you will be given written instructions for your care at home.
- After you have returned home, you may resume your regular diet.
- Do not sign any important papers or make any significant decisions for at least 24 hours if you received sedation.
- If you have any questions or problems after the procedure, please contact your doctor.
- A nurse from the center will phone you within a few days after your procedure to see how you are and answer any additional questions you may have.
- Do not drive a car, smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, and operate machinery for 24 hours after the procedure if you received sedation or anesthesia.
For any questions or concerns please call and speak with a pre-op nurse at 602-293-3382.